You have given birth to a healthy baby, and you are now a proud mother. As a mother you would want to give as much time to your newly born but not at the cost of your good health. Mothers tend to ignore their own health in their urge to do more for their kids. It’s now time for them to lose that unwanted fat which they have acquired in their pre-pregnancy phase.
WHEN TO START
Doctors will tell you that you must wait for at least six-eight weeks before you start exercising again given if you had an uncomplicated delivery.
It would be very challenging for you to start this routine considering pregnancy does lead to some hormonal changes, which may make you too emotional. At times you would be too tired for any exercise. Your partner needs to be really supportive if you want to come remotely close to your pre-pregnancy weight.
STEPS TO REMEMBER
- Don’t just start exercising the way you were doing before delivering a baby. It may take you some time to get back to this routine.
- Don’t be impatient to start your fitness routine
- Take slow and gradually increase your work out intensity
- Hydrate yourself with fluids
- You don’t need to get tire yourself out
- Stop immediately whenever you feel any discomfort or pain
EXERCISE TO PERFORM
You cant just hit the gym and start running or lifting weights, start with walking, this could be either early morning or after dinner. Once your gynaecologist gives you a go ahead on the exercise, try performing the below exercises.
What you really need to focus is your core and abdominal area. So try Pelvic tilt to condition your abs.
HOW TO PERFORM PELVIC TILT
- Lie on your back and bent the knees. (You may want to keep a pillow under your hips as extra support).
- Flatten your back against the floor with feet flat and your arms on the side.
- Now try tightening your abs and bend your pelvis slightly up.
- Hold for at least five-ten seconds and repeat it for five times.
This will strengthen your traverse and support your core.
HOW TO PERFORM TOWEL PULSE
- Lie on your back as shown in the graphic with knees bent.
- Now place a towel on the front part of the leg below, the knee across your upper shins. Hold the towel from both ends.
- Pull the towel and squeeze thighs together.
- Inhale and then exhale as you draw your abs in. Lift your shoulders off the floor.